Search Blog Content

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Amazing Gluten Free One Egg Quiche Recipe

 By

Photo: 1.bp.blogspot.com
 
Years ago in college my friend who had an off-campus apartment served me this quiche one day for dinner. It was so delicious I started making it myself. People love it and I am always asked for the recipe whenever I bring it to someone or serve it to my guests. Back in college it was an economical choice for dinner; originally it was made with cheddar cheese and frozen broccoli, now I take gourmet ingredients and mix it up to create wonderful variations if the earlier recipe. Of course you can always take a small amount of last nights leftover vegetable or meat and keep it simple.
It is easy to keep it vegetarian; as long as you eat eggs and cheese, or try my favorite combination, Fontina cheese, cooked cubed chicken breast and sun dried tomatoes. I also have made it gluten free using an easy gluten free baking mix I always have on hand for the crust. Give it a try either using your favorite pie crust recipe or the pie crust recipe below, either way I think you will be amazed at the results!

Filling:

1 extra-large egg
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon gluten free baking mix
1/2 cup milk (any kind)
1/2 cup green onions, chives or red onion chopped
2 cups shredded cheese (any variety)
8-10 ounces of any vegetable, meat, or seafood you like. Vegetables should be slightly wilted to get rid of moisture, and meats and seafood thoroughly cooked.
Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and pour onto the prepared pie shell.
Bake @ 350 degrees for 40 minutes until set.
Examples of combinations I have used:
Asparagus & Cheddar Cheese
Zucchini & Monterey Jack Cheese
Crab, Spinach & Gruyere Cheese
Chicken or Turkey, Broccoli & Cheddar Cheese
Ham & Swiss Cheese
Diced Smoked Salmon & Havarti with Dill Cheese

Crust:

1 1/4 cups gluten free all-purpose baking mix
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons sugar
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
3 tablespoons Crisco Shortening
1/4 cup ice water
11/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar

Place first 5 ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse with a steel blade a few times to make pea size pieces of dough. Mix the water and vinegar, and slowly add to the mix drop by drop through the feed tube as you pulse the mix. Stop when the dough comes together into a ball.
Dump the dough into a pie plate and work it up all the sides in an even layer. Cool in the fridge for 30 minutes. Bake @350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool and its ready to be filled. ENJOY!!!
Gluten free doesn't mean without flavor. In my house I have some who eat gluten free and some who don't. I love it when a recipe pleases everyone and they can't tell they are eating a gluten free food. The gluten free all-purpose baking mix helps me accomplish this. To learn more and get other amazing recipes visit: http://www.glutenfreebakingmixes.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Maura_E_Dillon

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7475393

No comments:

Post a Comment