Search Blog Content

Monday, December 17, 2012

Grandma's Easy Tortilla Soup With Toppings

 By

Photo: i.usatoday.net
 
As much as I love soup, in my opinion good soup is hard to make. You need the right ratio of ingredients, the right seasonings, and the right accompaniments. I've had Tortilla Soup in Mexico and Mexican restaurants. This soup comes close to the authentic version that I have enjoyed.
In fact, I think the recipe I devised is so good I sent it to my college-age grandson. He shares an apartment with three friends and is the only one who loves to cook. This recipe is a quick one and if you don't have time to chop onions, you may use frozen ones or even dehydrated.
Since I try to eat healthy, I used 93% lean hamburger, reduced sodium vegetable juice, and reduced sodium taco seasoning. For the topping I used reduced fat sour cream. If you want a more authentic Mexican dish, buy some yellow corn tortillas, cut them into thin strips, coat them with baking spray, and bake them in a 400-degree oven until crisp. Use these strips instead of crumbled taco chips
I try to cook ahead on weekends. If you want to cook ahead, make the soup and freeze it without the garnishes. Serve this flavorful soup with a tossed green salad and the dessert of your choice. Here is my original recipe for Grandma's Easy Tortilla Soup with Toppings.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound lean hamburger
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
15.25-ounce can of corn with liquid
16-ounce carton of chicken stock (I used salt-free.)
Two 1.25-ounce envelopes of taco seasoning. (Use one and half of the other.)
1/2 cup salsa of your choice (I used medium hot.)
Salt, if you think the soup needs it
Crumbled taco chips
Shredded Cheddar cheese (I used reduced fat.)
1 ripe avocado, chopped
Sour cream
Coat the bottom of a soup kettle with olive oil. Crumble hamburger and saute until brown. Add chopped vegetables, corn, chicken stock, vegetable juice, taco seasoning, and salsa. Cover and simmer over low heat for half an hour. Garnish each serving with shredded Cheddar cheese, crumbled taco chips, ripe avocado, and dollops of sour cream. You may also garnish the soup with wedges of lime. Makes 8 generous servings.
Copyright 2012 by Harriet Hodgson
http://www.harriethodgson.com
A freelncer for 35+ years, Harriet Hodgson is the author of 31 books and hundreds of articles. Her latest releases are "Happy Again! Your New and Meaningful Life After Loss" and "Help! I'm Raising My Grandkids." Visit her website and learn more about this busy author.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Harriet_Hodgson

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7414159

No comments:

Post a Comment