Search Blog Content

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Crunchy Coleslaw With Roquefort or Blue Cheese

 By

Photo: 1.bp.blogspot.com
 
Coleslaw goes with everything. Pulled pork sandwiches are often topped with this crunchy salad. It is also a common "side" for grilled steak, chicken, pork, and fish. Like soup, it is one of those recipes that tastes better the next day.
Though you can buy packaged salad in the grocery store, some nutritionists think pre-cut vegetables lose some of their nutritional value. Instead, they recommend buying whole vegetables and slicing or shredding them yourself. If you're watching your weight as I am, this recipe is a good choice.
Cabbage is filling and a storehouse of nutrients. According to the Nutrition Data website, the raw vegetable is low in calories and contains no cholesterol. One cup of chopped, raw cabbage contains only 22.2 calories. It also contains Vitamins A, C, D, E and K. This common vegetable is also high in calcium, with 35.6 milligrams per serving.
Commercial dressing is an option, but one I try to avoid because of the high sugar and salt content. One brand listed high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient and that's not for me. I prefer to make my own dressing and used a sugar substitute. You may prefer to add sugar.
I read cookbooks like some people read novels. When I was paging through some of my cookbooks I came across several recipes for this crunchy salad with Roquefort cheese. Since I had made the salad (my husband and I had already eaten half) I added some cheese to the remaining coleslaw. It was so fantastic I decided to serve it for dinner.
To my surprise, the blue cheese flavor was barely there. That's why I recommend adding the cheese just before serving. Most coleslaw recipes call for cider vinegar. Since I didn't have any, I used rice vinegar instead. Bok choy may also be substituted for green cabbage. Are you wondering what to serve with sandwiches or a picnic supper? This sassy coleslaw will please all Roquefort cheese-lovers.
Ingredients
3 cups thinly sliced or shredded green cabbage
3 cups thinly sliced or shredded red cabbage
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup green onions, white and green parts, chopped
1 cup light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar substitute
1/2 teaspoon lower sodium salt
A pinch of pepper
1 cup crumbled Roquefort or Blue cheese
Method
Combine all ingredients, with the exception of cheese, in a large bowl. In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar substitute, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables and toss gently. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours or more. Add Roquefort or Blue cheese just before serving. This recipe serves about a dozen people.
Copyright 2012 by Harriet Hodgson
http://www.harriethodgson.com
Harriet Hodgson has been a freelance writer for 35+ years and is the author of 21 published books. Her latest releases are "Happy Again! Your New and Meaningful Life After Loss" and "Help! I'm Raising My Grandkids." Please visit her website and learn more about this busy author and grandmother.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Harriet_Hodgson

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7367796

No comments:

Post a Comment