Search Blog Content

Friday, January 14, 2011

Learning How to Cook Quinoa!

 By: Wendy Polisi

Photo: wholefoodsmarket.com

I have to be honest. As soon as I first heard about quinoa grain, I was far more than a tiny bit doubtful. Just how could a meal which had countless health advantages really taste fantastic too? A friend of mine was initially wanting to persuade me that it would give me the energy and also protein that I need to power my rather busy life, but I was less than convinced. Man, am I glad that I made a decision to make the leap! Since the very first time I discovered how you can cook quinoa, I've been simply addicted! Better yet, my family members love quinoa as well!

If you have never prepared quinoa grain, let me share a few tricks with you. Typically the initial thing that you will always want to remember is the fact that quinoa must be washed. Numerous individuals try and neglect this task to save lots of time, however ultimately they end up dissatisfied. Quinoa which has not been rinsed tastes like soap and for most people, additionally , it leads to abdominal upset. In the event that you wish to speed up the amount of time which washing quinoa grain takes, it is easy to soak it for a few hours just before rinsing. This is particularly helpful in case you have bought your quinoa grain in bulk because it really helps to loosen the waxy saponin€™s on the seeds exterior. You will need to rinse in tepid to warm water until finally the water runs clear.

You'll be able to cook quinoa grain on the stove or in your rice cooker. It could also be cooked in the oven if you are looking for a crispy topping for yogurt or to take the place of croutons on a salad. In the event you choose to prepare quinoa grain over the stove top or steam cooker, you will need to use two times as much liquid as you're preparing quinoa. Bring it to boil over high heat and change the heat to medium low. Cover up the pot and simmer for in between fourteen and 16 minutes or until the fluid is all soaked up . Remove the quinoa grain from the heat and allow to stay covered for the next five minutes or so.

For those who would rather to use your food steamer, just follow the same directions that you would employ for white-colored rice. Because every steamer is a bit distinct , you will have to adapt the cooking accordingly . To bake quinoa you will want to preheat your oven to 375 and bake the quinoa for about 18 minutes. Prior to baking you may toss the quinoa grain together with a little extra virgin olive oil as well as whichever seasonings you want.


For more information regarding how to cook quinoa or why quinoa is so beneficial for you, please visit me at cookingquinoa.net.
Article Source:
http://www.articlebiz.com/article/1051377483-1-learning-how-to-cook-quinoa/

1 comment:

  1. I love quinoa and I am always looking for new ways to cook it and share it with my family. Salads and pilafs, parfaits and baked treats, I have been amazed at all the wonderful ways people have found to prepare quinoa.

    I think we are not accustomed to something tasting so good that is also so good for us.

    ReplyDelete